Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Offline Nothing, Day of Photography

As some of you may know, I purchased a DSLR back in 2012, several months after some idiot with more time on their hands than brains decided to steal my half-broken Olympus Stylus-300 with state-of-the-art 3.1 megapixel imaging; stylish, dented-beyond-belief casing design; and revolutionary camera-doesn't-even-turn-on-unless-you-know-the-secret-workaround functionality.


Rest in peace, little buddy.

Let me tell you, buying a DSLR and hoping I would take pictures as good as I did with the Olympus right off the bat was about as stupid as thinking that because I could drive a regular car in automatic, I could drive a stick-shift Ferrari. I'd have some moments where things worked out by magic and I got the thing going a nice pace, but more often than that, I'd probably...



crash 


and 


burn.


Mind you I did have some good shots, but most of the time when I would grasp the DSLR in my cold, tiny-Asian fingers, all common sense for photography would go out the window. As if having a DSLR meant that at any moment, my shot might vanish, and so I would have to just center the target and shoot as quickly as possible in a panicked frenzy.

Given that I am an artist and a perfectionist, this has led me to mostly letting my camera sit on the shelf. But today! Ah, glorious - Vancouver, rainy - today! Today I decided to do something about it.

So, in true dedication to the spirit of 30 days of doing nothing, I decided I would wander around a few hours in the wet downtown core with my camera to see what I might see.

The shots I took are magnificent.

children_playing.jpg
Children playing in the rain.
ethereal_cloudbreak.jpg
Sun breaking through clouds.
flowers.jpg
A flower cart shines out in the gloom.

No wait, they aren't, because I didn't take any. (You can stop staring at the blank spaces now, it's not a Magic Eye).

I wandered around for over an hour and took a grand total of 0 pictures. Heck, I didn't even take my camera out of the bag. If that isn't a case of successfully doing nothing of use in a day, I don't know what is.


Until next time, when I may just be explaining to you why, "Turtle, the Incredible Adventure" is the best film of all time.

-Teina



No comments:

Post a Comment